I make a mean cookie

I can't make a recipe the way it comes. Pretty much ever. I made Apple Spice cookies- dairy and egg free. Someone in our house church is terribly lactose intolerant and so he can be difficult to bake for. However, here is the delicious recipe before and after it got my makeover:

Original Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup chopped apples

My Ingredients [recommended : )]

  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup cider
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 2 grated apples (I left the peel on, why not?)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
  2. Cream shortening, margarine, and sugar.
  3. In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to sugar mixture slowly.
  4. Blend in cider and remaining dry ingredients.
  5. Add nuts and apples and mix.
  6. Drop on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes (I lean towards 12+ minutes because I like them crispy on the outside).
I'm aware that my recipe is more involved, so if you are looking for a shortcut use the first recipe, but at LEAST add cinnamon. I love the flavor and texture the whole wheat flour adds. Plus it makes you feel a little better.

Mom, I might have to make Dad some version of this some time: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butterscotch-Apple-Cookies/Detail.aspx

1 comments:



Unknown said...

I looked at both recipes. they both looked yummy! I am sure your dad would love the ones with butterscotch!

Post a Comment