It's Tuesday

Seems like a lot of my friends are sick right now, so I guess there is something going around. I am getting over a sinus infection myself, and now my Alan is sick! Poor thing; he is in bed. We were supposed to do laundry today, so maybe he is just trying to get out of it! (I don't really believe that).

I am turning in the form today to switch my Masters program from community counseling to family counseling! I am excited to make the switch, and will hopefully have my intro to family counseling course this fall. A lot of people have been asking me about my summer classes and how they are going- boring. I'm glad I took evaluation techniques in the 6 week version, and career development in the 12 week variety. It's taking a lot out of me to care much about career development theory. I'm not really into all the tests and inventories and telling people what they'd be good at. I hate the idea of someone thinking I'm going to tell them what to do- if that's the case they've come to the wrong counselor. I should explain:

No one knows what is best for you but you. Trust me. You know yourself better than anyone else knows you, and you are the one that must live with your decisions. No counselor is going to give you advice that you couldn't come up with on your own... you just need a little help. My job will be to point out patterns in your life- good and bad- and demonstrate how your strengths have gotten you through every situation up to now. That is the short version. I like to imagine the counselor's role not as an advisor, but a strengthener, encourager, eye opener, and sometimes healer.

Heavens, this has been an interesting summer so far! We've had several groups of friends in and out of our home, and there is still more to come! Alyssa and Steven get here tomorrow, a few days after they leave some friends of ours move in to their apartment here in the city, a few days later my class ends, then we have our big Pray4Chicago event, then a week later we are going to Murfreesboro to see Alan's parents, sister, and nephew, two days after we get back Lori comes for a week, and the days she leaves my fall classes start. That's just to the end of August!

Paper writin' time.

0 comments:



Post a Comment