Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins

Do you like Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies?

Then you are gross. Seriously, I pretty much hate any cookie with "oatmeal" in the name. I don't care what else you put in it or if it is your Grandma's secret recipe. Ick.

However, I LOVE oats in my muffins! It was a life changing experience when I started baking with whole wheat flour and oats. This recipe vaguley resembles the original, so I won't bore you with what it looked like before. Here is my version:

1/2 C butter
3/4 C brown sugar (packed or course)
1 egg
3/4 C apple sauce
a little oil... like maybe 1/8- 1/4 C
a little vanilla... maybe 1 teaspoon
1/2 C re'glar flour
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 C oats
1 C or so chocolate chips
1 C or so of walnuts (or pecans!)- no need to chop if they are already in halves

Preheat to 350 degrees. You know the drill- cream together the sugar and butter. Add the egg, applesauce, oil, and vanilla. Mix the dry ingredients separate- the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, oats, chocolate chips, and nuts. A little at a time mix the dry into the wet- it will all be a bit lumpy. Bake in greased cupcake tin or use cups (I like the cups because I freeze them and they seem to maintain their shape better that way) for 25 minutes- use the toothpick test if they don't look quite done.

There you have it. I love them and so does Alan.

I doubled the recipe and it made about 2 baker's dozen. Fill the cups pretty much to the top- they don't rise much at all.

1 comments:



Mark said...

Now that freakin' rocks... :) mmm....

Post a Comment