Cereal

As I watched Grace's eyes flutter closed, I smiled and thought back to how itty bitty she was just a few months ago. I cradled her in my arms and watched her lips pucker and her hands twitch. She is the image of comfort and contentment. I kissed her forehead and thought about all the neurons zapping through her brain connecting ideas and words; it must be working overtime to catalog all that she is learning. As I stood over her crib and watched her sleep for just a few moments, I realized that life is short and children grow very quickly.

I have spent about the last 15 months nourishing Grace's developing body. I was the only food she needed. Now, as she quickly nears her 6 month birthday, she desires more. I am a bit sad as I mourn the loss of this exclusive relationship, but at the same time over joyed for her health and growth! Today I mixed up a couple tablespoons of baby cereal to see what Grace might think of the idea of eating. She scarfed it down in excitement. I couldn't believe it! After watching me use a spoon for months, and even trying to get food out of my bowl of off of my plate, she knew what it meant to eat. She chewed it up and swallowed it, and now I have to swallow the fact that she is ready for food.

So as I turned out the light and closed the door I said a prayer for us both. I thank God for giving me the opportunity to have a child, a healthy child, and be able to watch and help her grow. I asked Him to comfort her as she meets challenges- big and small- and to comfort me as she meets them as well.

1 comments:



Mark said...

This is such a great post. Very loving, intimate, and personal reflections of a mom who loves her daughter. You guys are doing great work as a mom and pop. :)

Post a Comment